"Just Water"

​​​​​​Medium: Oil Pastels on Wood

​​​​​​​Size: (l*w*b) 10" x 8"

​​​​​​​Description:

As a kid, my grandma used to tell me stories about how the women of her desert village walked for miles and miles together to collect water for their households, came back, and worked the entire day at home, and yet they were not respected as much as their money-earning husbands.
Now, after nearly a decade, I still read about the same circumstances in Sociology class at school. I researched and found out the problem of sexism and discrimination in these remote villages that affect the lives of these women to date.
Through this painting, I want to throw light on how, ironically these strong women still don't receive equal treatment and respect for their work, though without them, even a basic need such a Water wouldn't be available to most households in these localities. After all it's "just water" how much difference could it make right?