Broken Innocence

Medium: Plastic on Wood

​​​​​​​Size: (l*w*b) 10.5" x 9.25"

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Description:

(TW: discusses domestic violence, rape, SA and alcoholism)
I made this artwork to depict something very intimate to me. During my early childhood, My mother and I were abused by my ex-dad. As a result, I came across domestic violence, sexual assualt, marital rape, and alcoholism as a little kid. The trauma affected me in horrible ways even after growing up.
I used different pieces of collected plastic to create a broken collage-like image to depict the lack of innocence and joys of childhood.
However, I have also come to understand that my past does not define me now. Hence, inspired by the Japanese art of Kintsugi, I attached the pieces, to show the acceptance of the past and internal healing.